CLASS “A” VOLUNTEERS
Head Coach - must be at least 18 years of age
The head coach is responsible for a team -- and all aspects of it -- just like in any other sports organization. SODE requires that all head coaches become certified in the sport (each team attending an event must have at least one certified coach on its coaching staff). Commitment is 1-2 hours per week for an 8-10 week training period plus competition days.
- In addition, head coaches are expected to ensure the following responsibilities are carried out:
- Attend all sports meetings pertaining to specific sports.
- Maintain athlete records and complete registration process for competition.
- Assess each athlete to determine appropriate skill level for competition and training.
- Develop an 8-10 week training program for the team (or each athlete for skills events) including fundamental skills, conditioning, and rules.
- Conduct well-organized practices, utilizing assistant coaches.
- Have complete knowledge of and abide by all Special Olympics rules.
- Attend competitions with the athletes.
Assistant Coach - must be at least 16 years of age
- Assist in assessing each athlete to determine skill level for competition and training.
- Assist in developing 8-10 week training program for each athlete including fundamental skills, conditioning and rules.
- Attend competitions with the athletes.
- Have knowledge and abide by all Special Olympics rules.
- Commitment is 1-2 hours per week for an 8-10 week training period plus competition days.
Practice Volunteer - must be at least 14 years of age
Practice volunteers assist coaches at weekly practices. Roles may include assisting with uniforms, taking attendance, set-up and clean-up, as assisting with athletes. Commitment is 1-2 hours per week for an 8-10 week training period. Practice volunteers are not credentialed for events.
Special Olympics Unified Sports® is an initiative that brings together Special Olympics athletes and Unified partners (athletes without intellectual disabilities) on sports teams for training and competition. The matching of athletes and partners by age and ability is defined on a sport-by-sport basis, and includes team and individual sports as well as Young Athletes and Motor Activity Training Program participants. Commitment is 1-2 hours per week for an 8-10 week training period plus competition days.
CLASS “B” VOLUNTEERS
Event Volunteers with fiscal responsibilities-must be at least 16 years of age.
At many of the Special Olympics Delaware sport and fundraising events, volunteers are asked to perform roles such as selling souvenirs or taking registration payments for fundraising event participants.
Committee Members -must be at least 18 years of age
CLASS “C” VOLUNTEERS
Event Volunteer- must be at least 14 years of age
Special Olympics Delaware holds several sports and fundraising events throughout the year all across the state. The events are driven by a core group of volunteers along with hundreds of "day-of/Class C" volunteers who come out to execute the various aspects of the event. Event volunteers assist with tasks such as volunteer check-in, hospitality, awards and more!
Official/Referee - must be at least 16 years of age
Officiate/Referee games and competition in specific sports that you have experience. Following the rules is important to the athletes and coaches and having competent officials allows athletes to participate in a fair environment.
Healthy Athletes - must be at least 16 years of age
Healthy Athlete volunteers help conduct free health screenings at events. Screenings include teeth, hearing, feet, vision, and general wellness
Medical Team - must be at least 18 years of age Must have a medical background (MD, RN, EMT, etc.)
Assist with medical support for athletes and volunteers. Must have a medical background (MD, RN, EMT, etc.)
Photographer/Videographer -must be at least 14 years of age
Take pictures and/or video at events to showcase the athletes and promote Special Olympics.
Professional Services - must be at least 16 years of age (e.g. Technical Support, Musician, Graphic Design).
For more information about volunteer roles with Special Olympics Delaware, please contact Carly Thompson at email@example.com or at 302-831-3479.