Bocce season is here -
NEW and RETURNING athletes SIGN UP to train and compete!
SIGN UP TODAY - New and returning athletes need to SIGN UP to play bocce. CLICK HERE!
INTERESTED IN COACHING? Special Olympics is always in need of coaches with playing or coaching experience (training also provided).
Bocce is a game of skill and strategy played by 300,000 Special Olympics athletes around the world. There may be anywhere from four to eight players in a game.
Each player is given two balls (boccia) and then must take turns rolling (lagging) the ball toward the pallino ball (the smallest ball), which has already been thrown onto the field.
Players are given points for the balls thrown closest to the pallino ball.
- Qualifying Tournament for Wilmington, Newark and MOT: Sunday, May 5, 2019, at the University of Delaware.
- Qualifying Tournament for Kent and Sussex: Saturday, May 11, 2019, at DE Turf in Frederica.
**Athletes must participate in the qualifying tournament to be eligible to advance to the Summer Games
- State Bocce Tournament: Saturday, June 14-15, 2019, at Summer Games at the University of Delaware.
LEVELS OF PLAY OFFERED
- Doubles Team Competition – two players per team – offered in the spring.
- Foursome Team Competition – four players per team – offered in the fall.
If you are brand new to Special Olympics, please visit our "New Athletes/Unified Partners" page.
Current Athletes/Unified Partners can find more information on the SODE area pages: