Basketball State Tournament
The Basketball State Tournament, sponsored by Farmers Insurance, is a two-day event comprised of Area teams from across the state. The tournament takes place at the University of Delaware Bob Carpenter Center, located on the UD athetic complex in Newark.
Mid-Season Tournament: March 4, 2018 at St. Andrew's School
State Tournament: March 24 - 25, 2018
Bob Carpenter Center, University of Delaware
Levels of Competition
Traditional: 5 v 5 full-court competition.
Unified: 5 v 5 full-court competition with three Special Olympics athletes and two Unified Partners on each team.
Halfcourt: 3 v 3 halfcourt competition
Skills Competition: Basic, Standard and Advanced Skills
Young Athletes Demonstration: children ages 7 and younger
Teams are divisioned based on age and ability.
Visit our basketball sports page for more information.
History and Facts
- State Tournament games are officiated by high school referees who are members of IAABO Board 11.
- The first basketball event nationally took place in 1968 at the inaugural Special Olympics Summer Games, held in Chicago.
- More than 450,000 athletes participate in basketball worldwide.
- Concessions will be available for purchase.
- Directions to the UD athletic complex.