Campers greeted with perfect weather on Day 2

posted Sun, Aug 9, 2015 by Jon Buzby

FRANKFORD, Del. — Day 2 of Special Olympics Summer Camp started out with a clang.

As the sun peaked out and the birds started chirping early Sunday morning, the clanging of a metal spoon against a frying pan could be heard echoing throughout the complex.

It was time to get up. And not for breakfast.

The campers and counselors were rustled out of bed for the daily Hammer Walk, a 1.5 mile trek to the end of Camp Barnes Road that takes place both mornings of camp.

“I ran the entire way,” a sweaty Mark Wells said while sipping water at the cooler. “It feels good to exercise in the morning and stay fit.”

Mark was one of nearly 60 campers attending the annual camp. Mark’s twin brother, Tom, also attends the camp, as does their father, George.

“We look forward to it every summer,” George said. “It’s great father-son bonding time. Just us guys for three days and two nights.”

For Michael Bowe, the Hammer Walk was easier than year’s past. Michael recently lost 50 pounds.

“I eat right and exercise,” Michael shared. “And losing the weight has helped me with my Special Olympics events.”

The campers spent Sunday morning participating in several activities including kayaking, arts and crafts, and traditional outdoor camp games. They also were instructed in archery by Jim Kemble of 4-H and treated to a pontoon boat ride compliments of North Bay Marina and the volunteer efforts of Captain Paul Daisy and first-mate Tony Gough.

“The water was flat, calm and beautiful. We managed to avoid all the alligators,” Daisy said smiling. “The athletes loved listening to the music and just zooming along.”

Activities continue Sunday afternoon and the traditional camp dance is Sunday night.

“The weather has been terrific,” camp director Gary Cimaglia said of the comfortable temperatures that hovered in the low 80s. “I can’t remember a recent camp when we’ve had two straight days of such great weather.”

The camp concludes Monday morning.