As one of the world's most popular sports basketball is a big favorite in Special Olympics -- more than 440,000 athletes participate -- and is incorporated into every U.S. program.
In Delaware, the season for Area programs and school full-court teams runs from January through March, culminating in the State Tournament (including a skills competition) held in late March/early April.
The training season for schools competing in the Skills Competitions is in the fall, with the competitions offered throughtout the state in early November.
Sport Director and Coach Resources
- Basketball Coaching Guide
- 2017 Rules and Information for State Tournament (Area)
- Skills Competition Rules for all levels of skills events for SCHOOLS
- MATP information
- General SODE Coaching Manual
- Equipment request form
State Basketball Tournament takes place in March or April at the Bob Carpenter Center on the University of Delaware campus.
The Basketball Skills Competitions are held in November/December at various high schools throughout the state.
Special Olympics Delaware offers the following basketball events for athletes and Unified partners of all ages and abilities:
- Team Competition 5-on-5
- Unified Team Competition 5-on-5
- Basic Skills Competition
- Standard Skills Competition
- Advanced Skills Competition