Basketball State Tournament
The Basketball State Tournament, sponsored by Farmers Insurance, is a two-day event comprised of Area teams from across the state. The tournament takes place at the University of Delaware Bob Carpenter Center, located on the UD athetic complex in Newark.
April 1-2, 2017
Bob Carpenter Center, University of Delaware
Levels of Competition
Traditional: 5 v 5 full-court competition.
Unified: 5 v 5 full-court competition with three Special Olympics athletes and two Unified Partners on each team.
Training Division Level 1: Basketball Team Skills competition.
Training Division Level 2: Halfcourt 5 v 5 team competition.
Basic, Standard and Advanced Skills
Teams are divisioned based on age and ability. Preliminary evaluations take place at the start of the tournament.
Visit our basketball sports page for more information.
History and Facts
- The Wilmington Wizards Steelers team won the 2016 Dick Nolan Sportsmanship Award.
- State Tournament games are officiated by high school referees who are members of IAABO Board 11.
- The first basketball event nationally took place in 1968 at the inaugural Special Olympics Summer Games, held in Chicago.
- More than 450,000 athletes participate in basketball worldwide.
- Please be sure to visit the Families Area at the event. Here you can get up-to-date information about SODE to make sure you aren't missing out on anything.
- Concessions will be available for purchase.
- Directions to the UD athletic complex.